COVID - PHONE SCAM ALERT! Customers are reporting calls from individuals claiming to be from the PUD to collect payments. PUD 3 has suspended disconnections, disconnect notices, and late fees. THIS IS MOST LIKELY A SCAM! Do not select ANY option to speak to a representative. Hang up and call PUD 3 directly at 360-426-8255. Learn more by visiting our COVID-19 page.

Advertencia de Estafas! Varios clientes han reportado llamadas de individuos haciendose pasar por trabajadores de PUD para cobrar pagos. PUD 3 ha suspendido los cortes, las notas de retraso y desconnecion, como recargos por retraso de pagos. Si recibe una llamada acerca de esto, LO MAS PROBABLE ES QUE SEA UNA ESTAFA! No seleccione ninguna opcion para hablar con un representante. Cuelgue y llame Directamente a PUD 3 directamente al numero 360 426-8255.

En repuesta a el virus COVID-19:: Las oficinas públicas de PUD estan CERRADAS A EL PUBLICO hasta pronto aviso Nuestros representates de servicio al cliente aún están trabajando y están listos para ayudarte!! Llámanos al 360 426-8255 Necesitas pagar tu factura? • Utilize la application SmartHub o visitanos en linea en • Utilize nuestras buzones de deposito. • Utilize el nuevo quiosco ubicado en 310 W Cota St en el centro de Shelton. Chécalo en acción! 

Call Before You Dig

Call Before You Dig

For safety's sake, it's against state law to dig a hole more than one foot deep without notifying utility companies (CALL: 811) at least two days in advance.

Really. It’s right there in the “Revised Code of Washington, 19.122”.

Call 811 Before You DigOK, why does this program exist? It protects you from being injured if you hit an underground power line, and protects your neighbors from losing power.

In a nutshell, you need to contact the Utilities Underground Locate Center at least two working days before you plan to start digging. They have a toll free number to make it easy: 1-800-424-5555.

When you call, make sure you’re ready to tell them what you’re going to do, the location of your project, and your contact information.

Hitting Underground Power Lines Can Be Shockingly Expensive

Imagine this: you’re digging and hit underground utilities. Your work causes damage.

At the very least, you could be responsible for paying the cost of fixing things. If you were digging without calling for someone to come locate the utilities damages could be triple!

You should contact us as soon as possible if you hit an underground power line while digging.

If you will be digging a trench, be sure to check out our trenching specs and requirements.

How it works

  • Call 811 from anywhere in the county a few days prior to digging and your call will automatically be routed to the local one call center.  
  • You'll give the operator information about how to contact you, where you are planning to dig and what type of work you will be doing. Your quick conversation with the operator will last a few minutes.
  • Utility companies who have potential facilities in the area of your dig site will be notified about your intent to dig.
  • Each affected utility company (including the PUD) will send a locator to mark the approximate location of your underground utility lines.  This typically occurs within 2-3 working days.
  • Wait the required amount of time for affected utility operators to respond to your request.
  • Confirm that all affected utility operators have responded to your request and marked underground utilities.
  • Respect the marks.
  • Dig Carefully around the marks with care.

Keep in mind that NOT everything gets located

Remember, PUD 3 customers own their own underground service wire, however the PUD's locator will locate the service wire up to the meter. Sometimes there are other service wires that are installed on the property that the PUD is unaware of. Some of the services the PUD's locator will not locate include:

  • Customer owned underground secondary/service wires beyond the meter
  • Outdoor lighting wires
  • Low voltage wires
  • Communication wires (cable, phone, CAT5, etc.)

Here’s the Legal Stuff

The Revised Code of Washington, 19.122, requires that persons contact the Utilities Underground Locate Center (1-800-424-5555) two working days (48 hours) in advance of excavation on PUD 3's property or public agency right-of-way. The law defines excavation as: "…any operation in which earth, rock or other material on or below the ground is moved or otherwise displaced by any means, except the tilling of soil less than 12 inches in depth for agricultural purposes, or road and ditch maintenance that does not change the original road grade or ditch flow line."

811 Dog


Banner 3